Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Memories of The Waltons

Last post 03-11-2006, 5:02 PM by Slammin' Slamo. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-11-2006, 4:53 PM 1395

Memories of The Waltons

I really enjoyed The Waltons television series. It showed how life was so simple during the Depression and the years before World War II. It also showed how close knit family members were, even though they came from a big family. I wish they would make movies about the lives of the family since the original programs went off the television.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-11-2006, 4:54 PM 1396 in reply to 1395

Re: Memories of The Waltons

Yes The Waltons was and still is my favorite show. I used hurry up and get my chores done so I could watch them. Now I'm grown with kids of my own and I still try hurry up and get supper cooked, the house cleaned, and the kids all took care of just so I can sit down and watch the show!

--Lisa from NC

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-11-2006, 4:54 PM 1397 in reply to 1396

What I liked about this TV show, these kids were my Parents age & they were so different. Then the Great Depression takes a life of its own during there lives & then WW2. It explains my parents generation & how we, the baby boomers became the first TV generation. Look at all the changes in our world since the Walton type of life style. Look at the USA since those days. Look at the techno creations. I wish the Waltons could be updated to show the baby boom Waltons, then the next generation thereafter. Its a great History lesson type show. Miss it.

--Peggie

•  03-11-2006, 4:55 PM 1400 in reply to 1397

The Waltons was the best ever, I'M forty four years old and I still love to look at the walton's everyday. This show was so believable not like today's shows, these people made you believe espescially grandpa walton I loved him so much and when he died a part of me died too. I hoped they keep showing the walton's for ever.
  •  03-11-2006, 4:55 PM 1401 in reply to 1400

The Waltons was a series you could get into after a difficult day. Being from Virginia, it is especially close to me as I work and visit a lot of the places they talked about. I still like the show, and still enjoy every episode I can catch, losing myself into a kinder, gentler time.

--mp, Virginia

•  03-11-2006, 4:56 PM 1403 in reply to 1401

My family watched The Waltons religiously! My father was from the very same area in Va. where the show originated. There were 7 of us kids in our family and we all watched it with our parents. They are all good and 1 of my favorites was when the poltergiest appeared, rocking chairs and breaking things, when Elizabeth was about to turn 13 and didn't want to grow up! It was scary and excitng!! I still watch it as often as I can. I think it was one of the best TV series that has ever been aired.

Our family had more in comman with the Waltons than the fact that there were 7 kids. (4 boys and 3 girls) I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters! We were poor country folk too and had a proper upbringing just like the Waltons! Our Father had his own struggeling business like John Walton and Mom stayed home like Olivia, taking care of the house and us kids. Although our Grandparents didn't live with us we did visit them for 3 weeks every summer until they passed away. I was 12 when it first aired and I loved Jim Bob!

--GrammyT

•  03-11-2006, 4:57 PM 1404 in reply to 1403

To say that I love the Waltons tv show would be putting it mildly. I started watching from the first show and tried never to miss one until it was dropped.

One reason it was and still is special to me is because it teaches such a good lesson of how to be strong, have faith, and lots of love and you can make it through anything.

I really loved the characters portrayed by Will Geer and Ellen Corby. They reminded me so much of my own grandparents who were married over 50 years. Also, they were not put in some home, but lived with there family and and they worked things out to each others benefit.

Mainly it just seems so special in these days of so much violence and crime and distrust. Those folks kept their word, and could sleep with the doors open if necessary. How could anyone not long for some of those days?

I hope and pray that the Waltons will always show on some station and continue to give the quiet pleasure and joy it always had.

--Mountain Gal

•  03-11-2006, 4:59 PM 1405 in reply to 1404

I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular, but I've read one too many postings about 'the good ole days.' I'm not sure if you lived through the Great Depression or have read much about it, but the depiction in the Waltons is idealistic to say the least. Where are the race riots, the violent strikes, the lynchings, the kidnappings and murders, etc? America in the 1930s was a very violent place despite what you might have seen on The Waltons. In fact, FBI figures show that there was not a single year in the 1920s or 1930s that had a lower murder rate than the year 2000 (which had the lowest rate since 1965)! Organized crime was far more prevelant and political corruption was at least as widespread as it is today. It's fine to enjoy a series which does not glorify such acts, but please do not let it lead you to conclude the era was somehow less violent or corrupt. It was not.
  •  03-11-2006, 5:02 PM 1407 in reply to 1404

Response to the editor: I realize the Depression was not a time of great joy, but the Waltons showed how they got along in a world that was in turmoil. I think the show is a fine example of faith, family love and caring in a peaceful atmosphere.

Thanks

--MP, Virginia

•  03-11-2006, 5:02 PM 1408 in reply to 1407

I can't help it, I have to say this, maybe silly but. . Well my biggest and logest lasting memory of "The Waltons" is the theme song. Yeppers it's true. During the show's early years I had to go to bed before the waltons, but my parents watched it every thursday. To this day (my wife sometimes watches it now)when I hear that song it brings back alot of memories, (heard it from my room) alot of them good, because I suppose when you're 8 or 9 life is alot more fun.

As far as how much I liked the show I would have to say the episodes leading up to and including the events surrounding World War II are my favorites because I feel that the show had reached an ideal balance of characters and stories.

PS: I always loved the Baldwin sisters, I even had an aunt that was like one, she taught me about the recipe. Her's was bourbon tho MMMM
  •  03-11-2006, 5:02 PM 1409 in reply to 1408

Where to begin. . . My first memory of the Waltons was in September of 1972, when the Series first debuted. As my classmates, and I, enjoyed sharing a tube of a new product that year. . "Squeeze-A-Snack" (basically Cheez Whiz in a toothpaste tube. . Yuck!). . . the boy next to me asked me if I had watched that new show. I have never heard of it, so he told me what it was about. Thus began a life-long love affair between myself and The Waltons. My parents and myself never missed it on Thursday nights, and again on Sunday nights (Canadian station). In those pre-VCR days. . . there were many last-minute races to the Front Room. . . so as not to miss the beginning. I made a trip to Schulyer VA, in 1993, to see Walton's Mountain for myself. It was a wonderful experience in every way. The natural beauty of the area, the warm friendliness of the locals, seeing the Museum, and the actual Hamner homestead. . . . a dream come true for me. The show, and everything & everyone connected with it, will have a special place in my heart forever. Earl Hamner most especially. He is a very special man, for sharing his life and giving so many people the wonderful gift of "The Waltons. " I would love to see more Reunion Movies in the future.

--Donnie NB, Canada

View as RSS news feed in XML