Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

What a great show!

Last post 03-03-2006, 1:47 PM by Cynthasyzer. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2006, 1:45 PM 142

What a great show!

The dry wit of Bob Newhart and his one-line zingers made it a classic. One episode, he answers the door and an adult said that she was selling encyclopedias for children. Bob replied, "Why don't you let them sell the books themselves?" (or something to that effect.) One of my many favorite episodes was career day in Emily's class. Howard arrived in his flight crew uniform and Jerry brought a big tooth. Needless to say, the kids weren't thrilled with Bob's presentation on psychotherapy. By the way, great website you have here!

--TC

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:46 PM 143 in reply to 142

Re: What a great show!

I can never get enough of this classic show! To me, Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette were the perfect TV couple. They made that show the classic that it is today. Their timing was impeccable, wish they would make another show together, maybe as the same characters, only a different setting. Oh, and I really love the BN theme song. As far as a favorite episode, it's hard to say for I love them all!

--Robin S.

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:46 PM 144 in reply to 143

The classic show of the shrink trying to deal with a dysfunctional world. The only sane individual was Emily. My favorite with the Thanksgiving episode where Jerry's alma mater, William and Mary gets hammered, like Bob and Jerry, by Penn State and they have to take a drink of this concoction every time the opposing team scored. It gives me a whole new appreciation for Moo Goo Gai Pan.

--Nilnod

•  03-03-2006, 1:47 PM 145 in reply to 142

I loved this show. As a psychologist it tickles me to no end. What I wouldn't give for a couple patients like Mr. Carlin. One of the all time great gimicks is the final episode of "Newhart"; Bob wakes up in bed and begins telling the person lying next to him that he's had a dream that he is an inn keeper in Vermont. The women in the bed next to him rolls over, you see her face and it's Suzanne Pleshette from the Bob Newhart show and she merely says "Go back to sleep Bob".

The Super70s were the "Golden Age of TV comedy": Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Barney Miller, Happy Days (the first couple of seasons) and M*A*S*H. Great TV!

--Woody

View as RSS news feed in XML