Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Fond memories of BJ and the Bear

Last post 03-03-2006, 3:55 PM by Francis Urquhart. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2006, 3:47 PM 258

Fond memories of BJ and the Bear

The show was somewhat of a mentor I guess. I thought at the time as a kid it was the greatest. To make a long story short I always had a fascination with trucks and BJ and the bear was not to be missed when I was a kid. I am now in fact a driver with 10 years + of dragging the wagon and I am not running on empty by any means...in fact I look forward to the next 10 and the 20 years there after!

--Pipfr

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 3:48 PM 259 in reply to 258

Re: Fond memories of BJ and the Bear

I can recall some of the moments when the BJ character seemed real, such as when he supposely met Dracula in one episode, he was shaken up. And the character of BJ seemed to attract women but he didn't seem to have too many series relationships with one girl. He seemed to try such as episodes with Pogo Lil, Through the past, and Grant plants a spy. His relationships were mainly a sexual tease, it would have been great if the series lasted to see if BJ gets to settle down or pick at least two girls to decide which to settle for. It would have been interesting if BJ fell in love with a girl who was the complete opposite of what he stood for.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 3:48 PM 260 in reply to 258

BJ MCcoy and his chimp. In our house this was the show to watch as a family (if you can stand all the girls coments about BJ - lol). I love the missed adventures of this truck driver and his chimp. Also this show aired about the time some indepedant truckers was murdered. My uncle was one of them, and when he came home he had all thease wild, road stories.
  •  03-03-2006, 3:48 PM 261 in reply to 258

My memories of Bj and the bear were very "Big",at the time my Dad drove a cabover KW but not an aerodyne this truly to me was the epitimy of what a trucker and his truck should be,even though it"s hard to do it can be done.I think of the truth in that song "Rollin down to Dallas my wheels provide my palace".What a palace that truck was,I use to go down to the used truck dealer where I live and late at night when the security gaurd was on his rounds I would sneak into an old KW cabover and pretend I was BJ Mckay and as soon as I would see the security gaurds headlights I would hop in the sleeper and wait till he drove past,and I would just dream I was on a run to Dallas and I maybe had just pulled over to go to sleep a "truckstop" "WOW" I thought I wonder what a truckstops like when you"re a real trucker I only knew them when I went with my Dad and it was usually "DON"T TOUCH THAT",one time in Tennesse I picked up a Cattle Prod and boy did I get the shock of my life,and also the wippin too.Thanks Bj McKay. Long live the red KW!

--Kaptain Crunch

•  03-03-2006, 3:50 PM 265 in reply to 258

Dude! I remember B.J. And The Bear! In a time that was cool to be a trucker and they were the kings of the road, kids like me watched B.J. roll on down the road every week. I tell you, Glen Larson made up some cool stuff back then. B.J., Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rodgers, and T.J. Hooker. He made everything for everyone. But, back to B.J. And The Bear, this was the answer to The Dukes Of Hazzard, even down to the Sherriff that could fin his way across the street without a map. The chimp was cool. B.J. always got the hot chicks. I don't see why they don't bring it back, like on Nick at Night or TV Land.

--Air Force Brat

•  03-03-2006, 3:50 PM 266 in reply to 258

Alright!!!!! Count me in, peoples!!!!!! I was as much a fan of BJ and The Bear as anyone within the 5-12 age group in that era. I cannot deny that, like every kid who tuned in to catch the hi-stakes cat and mouse games every week between Billy Joe and The Sheriff, I too was bitten by the trucker bug on account of this show. I breifly set aside my aspiration to become a musician when I grew up and had my sights set on becoming a Big Rigger! No Joke!!!! And If this seems a little whacked then so be it, but I wanted to actually be Bear, and went around for a week acting all chimp-like. Another favorite memory relating to BJ and The Bear was this one time when I was home in bed with the flu, and my mom came home in between jobs (she worked 2 of them at the time) and brought me a BJ and The Bear coloring book. Golly, did I love her forever for that! As for episodes, I don't recall all of them,but my favorite - if I remember it right - was the one where they were putting on some charity show. Bear was resorting to all kinds of stunts in order to get a spot on the show, but BJ and the others refused to budge. The TV shows from that era, which were not on long but enjoyed immense popularity in the meantime, are what these kinds of memories are REALLY made of.

--Alan

•  03-03-2006, 3:51 PM 267 in reply to 258

BJ and the Bear was my favorite show. I saw every single episode. I was about nine years old when I started watching it. Of course, I thought that BJ was really hot. But I also really admired him as well. He was so gentle with Bear and seemed to be so friendly and have a great personality. I think that it takes great courage for a man to not be afraid of what others will think about the fact that he is caring for a monkey. BJ was man enough to be able to reveal his sensitive side. In addition to watching the show, I used to play BJ and the Bear with my sibblings. We would play for hours and it was the type of pretend game where toys were not needed so you could play anywhere. I think that this type of quality show which has had such a positive impact on me should be shown as reruns on late night television. I am adopting a child from Vietnam and would really want him to see this show someday. I remember that there were many references made to Vietnam during the course of the show. I think my favorite episode is the one where BJ sees his sister.

--stacks

•  03-03-2006, 3:51 PM 268 in reply to 265

The thing that made "B.J. & THE BEAR" a truly groovy show was when he'd take his truck & smash up all the patrol cars in the police roadblocks of good cops gone bad. Each week he'd bang up the 1977-78 PLYMOUTH FURY police cruisers driven by SGT. WILEY (played by the late SLIM PICKENS) from WINSLOW COUNTY, GEORGIA. Other times he'd smash up those 1975-76 PLYMOUTH FURY police cruisers driven by CAPTAIN CAIN (as played by ED LAUTER) of BISHOP COUNTY, GEORGIA in the series as well as all of the 1975 CHEVROLET BISCAYNE, 1975-76 PLYMOUTH FURY, and 1975-76 (mid-sized) DODGE CORONETS driven by SHERIFF ELROY LOBO (as played by the late CLAUDE AKINS). Then in the final season of the series he was battling a LINCOLN MARK III 4-dr. sedan, and an entire fleet of 1977-78 PLYMOUTH FURY and DODGE MONACO police cruisers under the command of SCAT (SPECIAL CRIMES ACTION TEAM) leader CAPTAIN RUTHERFORD T. GRANT (as played by the late MURRAY HAMILTON) and LT. JIM STEIGER (as played by character-actor ERIC SERVER).

--. 44MAGNUM

•  03-03-2006, 3:51 PM 269 in reply to 267

BJ Was a major hunk on the show I watch this show all the time and never missed a epsoid in my childhood. The one thing I don't get there always old shows coming back to tv. Why don't they put BJ back on tv so we can see the great shows again. I remenber BJ always around the girls and the chimp was so cute and made the show a great laugh too. I also love BJ truck. I hope we can see BJ and the Bear old epsoids again real soon on TV. This will be real great if this happend it been so long since I seem the show it will be neat to see the old epsoids again.

--Donna Smith

•  03-03-2006, 3:52 PM 270 in reply to 266

Yeah, I remember, but no one has said anything about "Stacks" Judy Landers was what I was google eyed over. I just remember that cool truck, the hot girl, and the chimp. there needs to be a retro channel that shows any of the best shows no matter what studio produced it. Gives us back our TV!!!!!

--Rollover

•  03-03-2006, 3:53 PM 273 in reply to 258

As a very young kid when the show appeared, I was fascinated with the red and white KW. My dad at the time was driving one just like it, identical in color and striping. It was identical to the first KW to appear in the series, but it didn't last long, it was sooned replaced with an aerodyne model like it. The aerodyne was the first I had seen and it was awesome.

--poleclimber

•  03-03-2006, 3:53 PM 274 in reply to 269

This horrible show had one attraction. Judy Landers and her cleavage. A young man's fantasy.

--napoleon

•  03-03-2006, 3:54 PM 275 in reply to 273

I remember how BJ would get annoyed when people would call Bear a "monkey" and he would strongly correct them and say that Bear was a chimp! You tell 'em BJ! I thought BJ was cool and that the girls were hot. I wish it would come out on DVD.

--Sixgun

•  03-03-2006, 3:54 PM 276 in reply to 274

B. J. and the Bear truly was one of the greatest shows. Even though I don't remember too much I was only around 8 or 9 at that time. I was really into "big rigs". But the one episode I do remember was that at some point there was this hot woman in the back of the truck and she had to take off some of her clothes to use for the molotov cocktails she was throwing out the back of the truck. Boy I had a crush on her for a while.

--relix212

•  03-03-2006, 3:55 PM 277 in reply to 275

Oh how I wish foxtel would play it here in Australia. again like most of you out there I was only 7 at the time and my walls were covered in kw posters from the truckin life mags. I also had the model that was released. Back then all I wanted to do was drive a big red Aerodyne.

--collo

View as RSS news feed in XML