Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Best. Sitcom. Ever!

Last post 01-27-2009, 3:52 PM by Fleetfoot. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2006, 1:27 PM 123

Best. Sitcom. Ever!

My mother and I both think this is the absolute best sitcom ever done. My favorite member of the cast was Jack Woo, whose name I may not be getting correct. His delivery was absolute deadpan. The scene I love best was when he came in and sat down with his paper box of take out and the phone rang. He answers it and starts to listen to the voice on the other side. He's saying "yes" and "uh-huh", all the while searching around the top of his desk. Finally he says, "Sorry but I need to get a pencil." Grabbing the pencil from another table he takes it and the single chopstick he had and digs in to his lunch, back to saying okay to the lady on the other end. He tells her someone will be right over and then hangs up. He freezes, caught by the sight of the implements in his hand. Then he totally deadpans it," Oh my god, I ate my eraser." Perfect, perfect delivery. I hope to find some episodes on video someday.

--Snow

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:28 PM 124 in reply to 123

Re: Best. Sitcom. Ever!

I was very young when the show first aired. I'm enjoying the shows more, now that I'm so much older and can appreciate the show's slick comedy. It's difficult to believe that the show was written back in the 'Super70s. Barney Miller was ahead of its time!

--S.L.

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:28 PM 125 in reply to 124

I grew up watching Barney Miller. Even back then I thought it was a cool show. Watching it again, after all these years, is a great pleasure, and I'm finding out that even though I was young when the show first aired, I was right--Barney Miller rules!

--The Fisherman

•  03-03-2006, 1:29 PM 126 in reply to 125

Barney Miller was easily one of the top five best-written sitcoms. But more importantly, it was definitely the best-cast sitcom. Hal Linden (Barney), Jack Soo (Yemana), Abe Vigoda (Fish), and Steve Landesberg (Detrick, my favorite character) were especially hilarious; they were all kings of the deadpan delivery and look. Also noteworthy was the occasional appearance of James Gregory as Inspector Frank D. Luger. My favorite espisode involved a student from NYU, majoring in physics, who had been taken into custody because of his physics project: an atomic bomb. All during the episode, Barney was very nervous about it even after the student reassured him that it was lacking the "fissionable material" to make it work. A government expert had also shown up and was convinced that it was just a science project by a "kid" and that it could never possibly work. The prideful student, of course, argued his case that it *would* work, which, of course, didn't make Barney feel any easier. Eventually, however, the calming influence of the "expert" won out and Barney finally began to relax by the end of the episode. Noticeably absent during this time was Detrick, the walking encyclopedia. Finally, towards the end of the episode, Detrick enters and nonchalantly asks, "where the hell did you get the atomic bomb?" Which, of course, totally unnerved Barney!

--Kirk Sandall

•  03-03-2006, 1:29 PM 127 in reply to 123

I just discovered Barney Miller on TVLand and I love it. I think it is one the best sitcoms ever made. Barney Miller had fantastic writing and a great cast. I loved it how the writers were always showing new layers to the characters, and they never made anyone seem one dimentional. My favorite character was Dietrich, he had the best sense of dry humor ever. Plus since Barney Miller was a cop show. They did have a serious side to it that was always well done.

--Takergal

•  03-03-2006, 1:29 PM 128 in reply to 126

Barney Miller was one of the best (if not the best) shows ever on tv. I liked the way the guys worked together, - showing the world that differences do not matter. I believe it had the most ethnically diverse ensemble cast on any show even to this day. It would be very difficult to pick a - favorite episode, and even more so to pick a fav. character.

Who can forget Fish complaining about his wife or his endless trips to the bathroom. Or Chano always trying to make the big bust and talking a mile a min.(usually in spanish). Nick and his horseracing, Harris and his writing,Wojo getting heated over any injustice. Dietrich and his wit, Levitt always trying to make it to plainclothes,Luger and all his antics. The endless clients (my favorite was Marty) what a character he was.

And last(but definitely not least) Barney himself. A man who used compassion and common sense instead of force, who treated all that came through his doors as Human Beings. I think a lot could be learned from the Men of the 12th Precinct.

About all I can add is, they don't make tv shows like that any- more, and it's a shame.

--niblet

•  03-03-2006, 1:30 PM 129 in reply to 128

BARNEY MILLER was a excellent show I always enjoyed it had everything laughter, tears, anger, just every human emotion there is , TV should be so lucky to put another show on that's this good. My favorite episode is the one there not allowed to air any longer, the one where Wojo brought the brownies to work. I like when officer Levitt put his footdown on a co/worker to tell him to stop calling him Little Levitt all the time. Now this is good TV! Programmers need to take note this is just good TV.

--cool guy

•  01-27-2009, 3:52 PM 2882 in reply to 128

In reply to  niblet 

My sentiments exactly.

Fleetfoot 

View as RSS news feed in XML