Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Emergency! is why I'm a firefighter

Last post 05-15-2009, 5:19 PM by Kristi. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-18-2006, 11:17 PM 1995

Emergency! is why I'm a firefighter

It was because of "Emergency" that Emergency Medical Services changed throughout America.   People watching this show,  saw the level of EMS care that was being portrayed in LA,  and demanded from their own cities that the firefighters in their cities fire departments be trained to the level of paramedics.   This show had a huge impact on pre-hospital medicine.   And it was played to perfection by the boys of Station 51.   Although it had its hokey explosion every week,  looking back it was done pretty well.

On a personal note,  it was because of this show that today I am a firefighter/paramedic.   And I am willing to bet numerous firefighters,  EMTs,  and paramedics today have this show to thank for setting them on the greatest line of work on earth.   (also,  the medical director of the paramedic program I attended in Pittsburgh,  PA,  was a consultant on the set of "Emergency. "

Shane Kennington

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  05-15-2009, 5:19 PM 2898 in reply to 1995

Re: Emergency! is why I'm a firefighter

I wanted to be a paramedic so badly because of that show.  Unfortunately I hurt my back as a teenager and that put me out of being able to lift much.  What a great show. 
View as RSS news feed in XML