Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Favorite Carol Burnett episodes...

Last post 02-02-2010, 6:37 PM by juleru. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-04-2006, 5:08 PM 429

Favorite Carol Burnett episodes...

My three favorites are: The Dog Pound sketch with Joel Grey/Harvey Korman. The Second is The Majesty and Mob with Sammy Davis Jr. and The Doillie Sisters based on the Dolly Sisters. As much as I love Carol Burnett as a person I personally feel her show wouldn't have been as successful if she hadn't had Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on her show. It has been well documented that some people like that Harvey Korman broke up during taping. I personally didn't like it. Mr. Korman has often said that that he found it unprofessional for him to break up. Well Mr. Korman didn't have much of a choice it was Mr. Conway’s personal goal to break him up and I found it ruin many of sketches because of that need of Mr. Conway’s to surprise his victims. But I will personally say this I would not have watched it if Harvey Korman wasn't on it. Danny Kaye, Jack Benny, Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball are some of the many comedians that Mr.Korman had the privilege of cutting his teeth in field of comedy and specifically Sketch Comedy. A expert dialectician and character actor I would put him up there and above Dean Martin, Howard Morris, Art Carney, Carl Reiner as the premiere Second Banana of all time. I know alot of these people but I have never ever turned off or found any of Harvey Korman's performances fake, boorish, forced or insincere. I have one sketch with Joel Grey as two dogs in a pet shop that is my favorite and the king and queen with Sammy Davis Jr as my top sketches. I personally love Harvey Korman as a man, and as a performer and I personally feel had he'd not been so connected To Tim Conway or had broke up as much as he did Mr. Korman might have forged a greater influence in the field of comedy then he has. I personally think as successful as the Burnett show is and as much as it has come to be a classic I still feel that the most negative mark on the show is The Breaking up of the Actors and the semi-frequent mugging or indicating a punch line of Mrs.Burnett it was my favorite Show-Simply because of Harvey Korman is my Dad.

--Chris Korman

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-04-2006, 5:12 PM 433 in reply to 429

Re: Favorite Carol Burnett episodes...

[My favorite is] Tim Conway and Harvey Korman in the Dentist skit! My husband and I can't stop laughing when we mention it 30 years later!
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-04-2006, 5:13 PM 436 in reply to 429

I loved the episode where Hoss learned the violin, and the one where Little Joe called him the 500 pound canary.
  •  03-04-2006, 5:16 PM 442 in reply to 429

My favorite skit on the show was "Went with the Wind", where Carol makes a dress out of the curtains, and leaves the rod in it. I have seen it in re-run, and specials, and still laugh so hard I cry. When she say's- " I saw it in the window and simpally had to have it", well, it is a classic, and a record breaker too, the audience laughed for almost 17 minutes non stop when she came down the stairs dressed like that. It was the longest laugh break in recorded history, and still hasn't been broken. All in all, it was a great show, run by a great woman, supported by a great cast. We will never see another show like this again, ever.

--amato34

•  03-04-2006, 5:16 PM 443 in reply to 429

My ultimate favorite episode had to be the "Went with the Wind" episode. I loved Bob Mackie's green drap dress with the rod included. I have to say I just about chocked and my food. And to top off the hilariousnous (if that is even a word) the quote from Ms. Starlet O'Hera, "I saw it in a window, and I just couldn't resist."

--Maggie

•  03-05-2006, 3:07 PM 447 in reply to 429

My favorite was Mr. Tudball & Mrs. Whiggins because my sister and I used to mimic their skit and send our family rolling with laughter. The whole pencil sharpening experience was the best, where Carol would swing her behind around while she sharpened the pencil. She would file her nails at her desk and couldn't move fast to save her soul because her skirt was so tight around her knees. She never knew how to take a message correctly and she chewed a big wad of gum.

The other skit I liked was their spoof on Daphne DuMaurier's Rebecca. . . Rebecki (sp?) Carol came down the big stairway with a set of curtains on her shoulders for a dress. . . too funny.

And then there was Eunice. . . poor little Eunice who never got enough love from her Mama and her dingaling husband Ed. The dress Carol wore as Eunice looked like a bad pair of sheers from a funeral home (again with the curtains!) and that awful wig she wore! Hideous, but then Eunice and Mama were hideous together. Their life together made me grateful for my mostly functional family!

Good memories all.

--Jenny K

•  03-05-2006, 3:07 PM 448 in reply to 429

She's a legend in her own time. Besides the "Went with the Wind" spoof and all the "Eunice" skits, one in particular I remember was the episode when they all played Parchesi. Another that was really hillarious is when Vicki played a fortune teller and Carol portratyed a "customer". I can't remember the whole gist of the skit but I remember them both just losing it and cracking up during the skit. Vicki had a ridiculously funny way of "hailing" the spirits.

--Bill

•  03-05-2006, 3:08 PM 449 in reply to 447

By far & away, the best sketch EVER has to be "The Dentist" with Tim Conway and Harvey Korman! Everyone I know who has ever seen it has died laughing, over and over again. A classic!

--Larry

•  03-05-2006, 3:10 PM 452 in reply to 448

Twenty years later I'll still put the remote down when I see The Carol Burnett show is on. In my opinion The Carol Burnett Show is the only time in television history where the sketch comedy was actually laugh out loud funny.

One of my most memorable lines was when "Mama" told "Eunice"; "Eunice, you have a splinter in the windmill of your mind!" It was one of those well-timed lines where even the cast began to crack up.

Another memorable skit was the famous "Gone With The Wind" skit.

--Lydokane

•  01-20-2007, 12:26 PM 2737 in reply to 433

my boyfriend has never seen the dentist skit, I would like him to.  Everytime I have seen it (long time ago) I just about wet my pants.  Any ideas of where to get the dvd, and which one is the correct one?

Thanx

Kat

•  02-02-2010, 6:37 PM 2956 in reply to 429

my brother was in a couple carol burnett skits when we were kids...i think one of them was the dog pound skit. any idea where to find that online?
    Filed under:
View as RSS news feed in XML