Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Favorite episodes of The Jeffersons

Last post 03-05-2006, 4:52 PM by Cynthasyzer. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-05-2006, 4:48 PM 591

Favorite episodes of The Jeffersons

My favorite episode of "The Jeffersons" is the flashback episode detailing George's 1st store opening. It's a very funny episode, but the best part is at the end when a woman who was his 1st customer makes her weekly entry into the store. She's now poor, and George is now the "one on top." But he still treats her like royalty and when she says that she will eventually pay her tab, he says not too worry. Then he tears it up. Great story. Really humanizes George. Sure wish Nick-At-Nite would show it (they seemed to end their run a year or two before this episode airs).

--Mike

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 4:49 PM 592 in reply to 591

Re: Favorite episodes of The Jeffersons

The Jefferson’s were my favorite TV show. I don’t have a specific favorite episode for I loved so many of them, but I guess the Martin Luther King episode was really one I favored more than others because it focused on so much of the situation black people dealt with in the 60's and it was very powerful. Watching George Lionel and Louise listen to Martin’s words in the end put tears in my eyes. The Jefferson’s were hilarious but they dealt with many human issues that made for some funny but moving episodes like Florence’s thoughts of suicide, George’s cousin dusty needing a kidney transplant, the KKK episode, Jessica getting her hands on a gun, Lionel and jenny's divorce I can't think of any sitcom that dealt with so many human issues like the Jefferson’s did. That’s what made this show so special to me and I’ve taped as many episodes from nick at night as I could. I loved most of the 1st season episodes most of all because they have the immortal Zara Cully.

--sonicmets

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 4:49 PM 593 in reply to 591

Hmmmmmm, very hard to choose but one of my favorite episodes has to be the one when George catches DISCO FEVER!!! GET IT GEORGE!!! OWWWWW!!! Boy, could George and Helen burn a rug. Even Weezie was burnin' up the dance floor for a while until it became too much. So instead, she becomes interested in a play and leaves George behind with a soar back. But have no fear, Harry Bentley to the rescue and what a number he did on George's back. A little SOOOOOOUL TRAIN or DANCE FEVER to get it crackin.' LOL!!!!!
  •  03-05-2006, 4:49 PM 594 in reply to 591

My favorite episode was when Billy Dee Williams ws on..All the women were so flustered and Florence was really hilarious.

--Jlaverne

•  03-05-2006, 4:50 PM 595 in reply to 592

[My favorite episode was] where George created the "George Jefferson Museum" because he had a near-death experience. The campiness was at its best.
  •  03-05-2006, 4:50 PM 596 in reply to 593

The Jeffersons is by most one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. One of my favorite episodes, hands down, is "George Fever." Boy, could George and Helen bring the house down with such fancy, funky, stompin', foot work (laughing). Weezy should've never talked George into it. He turned into a DISCO DUCK!!!
  •  03-05-2006, 4:50 PM 597 in reply to 594

My favorite episode is the one when the Willis son comes in to town to visit. He is as white as Jenny is black. This is all of the fodder that George needs for his racially combustible cannon, and these two proceed to play the dozens more realistically than any one has ever attempted to portray it on network television. Truly classic Mr J. at his best. Also one of the very first times I have ever heard the N word use on network t.v.

--TheBrownHornet

•  03-05-2006, 4:50 PM 598 in reply to 595

One of my favorite episodes is the one where George bets Florence he could do all the work in three hours that she does in one day. If he does it then Florence has to make him breakfast in bed for a month. If he fails then Florence gets a weeks vacation with pay. He makes a huge mess and ends up calling a cleaning company to do clean the apartment. When Florence and Weezy get home, he is asleep on the couch and the apartment is spotless. Florence and Weezy cannot believe he did all that work. They wake him up and give him his credit. He takes it all in like it was easy. Then he goes back to the bedroom. As soon as he leaves the room the doorbell rings and it is the cleaner who forgot to leave him his coupons for the next time he needs them. He tells Florence and Weezy all about what a mess he had to clean up and everything. As soon as he leaves Weezy and Florence are discussing who gets to kill him first. George reappears from the bedroom, and Weezy starts to fuss at him and he tells her to hold on a minute he needs to talk to Florence. He explains to Florence what he had done, and he tells her that she can have her week off anyway. She says that she doesn't even want the week off and that since she is so proud of Mr. Jefferson for telling the truth that she's gonna give him breakfast in bed anyway. Florence leaves to her room and Weezy tells George that she was so proud of him. She tells him that it was a good thing that he decided to tell them the truth because they already knew because the cleaner had come to the door. George says,"I know. I heard him," and then leaves with a laugh.

--Jdub

•  03-05-2006, 4:50 PM 599 in reply to 597

Every episode with Florence (Marla Gibbs) is my favorite. Especially the one with Billy Dee Williams. Oh how I miss those good old days.

--leannee

•  03-05-2006, 4:51 PM 600 in reply to 596

What a great show. . . I agree with some of the posters here, the flashback 1st epsisode is a classic ("Where am I?" "New York" "City or state?" "Both!"). In the wake of Isabel Sanford's passing, it's hard to believe she had 20 years on Sherman Helmsley. I would have guessed about the same age for both, maybe a few years difference for one versus the other.

Other classic episodes: the ones where lessons were taught (Louise's uncle, the multi-parter where Lionel is tempted to cheat on a term paper, the teenage thiefs who steal from George's store, George's Bronx store being looted during the riot and he threatens to leave the are) and the later ones featuring Mr. Whittendale. I especially liked the one where George has to run for apartment president against Louise and Ralph and Mr. W. "help" him ("Here's your powerbase sir. . . your middle-aged black dry cleaner. . . you carry them 100%" "Wait a minute, there's only 1 !!" "Don't move out. ")

The only thing I find frustrating is that the series runs tend to end around 1980-81, they rarely show them all the way through the end. And like many, I didn't really like the ending of the show with Lionel and Jennie getting a divorce (though the final episode was kinda funny).

Let's hope it comes back to the Nick or TVLAND schedules. This show is a classic -- R. I. P Isabel Sanford, you were a credit to your race. The human race.

--- Frankie B

•  03-05-2006, 4:52 PM 603 in reply to 591

I loved all the episodes but my FAV had to be when George fancied himself a poet and decided to publish a book of poems. Clad in a beret, ascot and smoking jacket, he emerges from the bedroom and breaks into a self penned poem entitilted "Tribute to Hawaii 5-0. " The first line is hilarious- "Lord, oh Lord, where is Jack?". That episode still brings tears to my eyes. As does the episode where George hired an ettiquite (sp?) coach. I miss the show and Franklin Cover (Tom Willis) just died on yesterday. Ahhh but they shall live forever in my heart.

--jefferfan

View as RSS news feed in XML