Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Memories of Soap!

Last post 03-05-2006, 9:56 PM by Cynthasyzer. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-05-2006, 9:47 PM 795

Memories of Soap!

I loved this show! I never missed an episode. This was one show my now former ex-husband and I could agree on watching and enjoyed watching it together. I loved the Colonel with his dead dog dragging him up and down the stairs...thump thump thump. My favorite episode I think was when Chester was caught cheating.

The one remarkable thing about this show is that although there were many conflicts among the characters there was always a feeling of love and acceptance for each and every person that lived in that house no matter what the person did or how strange they acted. That is what I remember the best; love, acceptance and understanding for the humaness of each character. Especially love and acceptance for the old Colonel. Nobody would have given a thought to putting him in a home just because he acted strange. A lesson to be learned for all of us in the real world today to take care of our family members and help them get through whatever they are going through without judgement.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 9:54 PM 800 in reply to 795

Re: Memories of Soap!

I startted watching soap a few years back on paramount - it took me ages to get in to it, but just recently they startted showing it again - and I have been hooked ever since! I decided to get the two dvd box sets that are out at the moment.

One thing I have noticed is that Benson seems to get stronger parts in the second season to the first

If series three is to come out, I just hope that the first series of Benson comes out at the same time

--philengland

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 9:54 PM 801 in reply to 800

Hi I remember that I laughed for 20 minutes when one of the husbands on the show got amnesia and thought he was Marlene Detrich and he started singing "Falling in Love Again" while wearing a boa. He sounded just like her.

--Patsy

•  03-05-2006, 9:54 PM 802 in reply to 801

I never saw the original show, but my family recently bought 2 DVD sets and we have been devoting our weekends to finishing it. I can honestly say this is one of the best shows of all time. ^_^

I think my favorite scene so far was when Elaine died in Danny's arms--it was so sweet!--but my favorite line of all time was when Mary told Jessica that Jodi was going to be a father and Jessica replied "Dennis is pregnant!?" Jodi and Benson were probably my favorite characters.

--Bellatrix

•  03-05-2006, 9:54 PM 803 in reply to 802

I've only recently started to watch Soap, but I love it! The characters are warm and funny. I love Jodie, and can't wait to finish watching all his storylines!
  •  03-05-2006, 9:55 PM 804 in reply to 803

Soap was a very funny show. But the one thing that always irked me was how much Jay (Burt's ventriloquist son) and his dummy, Bob were underused. To me they were the funniest part of the show. Jay didn't pull any punches when it came to insulting the rest of the oddball characters. Of course, he did it through the dummy.
  •  03-05-2006, 9:55 PM 805 in reply to 804

I was a fourth-grader when Soap came on TV and I always wanted to watch it, but my Mom made me go to bed at 9:30 on school nights, so I only saw it a few times. Now I'm in heaven--I've already watched the first two seasons and am in the middle of the third. I can't believe how good it is.

--Brunhilda

•  03-05-2006, 9:55 PM 806 in reply to 805

My most poignant recollection is when Corrine gave birth to a devil-child, and Jessica declared "You have come to the wrong house".
  •  03-05-2006, 9:55 PM 807 in reply to 806

All of the characters were great! Benson, the Colonel. . . the "Piece of Cholief" played by the late Gordon Jump. . . When Chester got amnesia and finally remembered his name. . . "I'm Cheddar Plate!"

--val

•  03-05-2006, 9:56 PM 808 in reply to 807

The cast of "Soap" was incredibly funny (thanks to sharp writing), but I really came to appreciate them as actors when I came out to LA for a vacation in 1979 and went to my first taping of a television program. It was the season premiere episode of the '79-80 season of "Soap". From what I can remember, Richard Mulligan had been kidnapped by aliens, Robert Guilliame's character, Benson, had been spun off to his own series that year, but he came back for a "cameo" to help the family rescue somebody. The cast was flawless, never missed a beat and moved from one scene to the next without a problem.

The only "flub" that was made was when the Colonel, Robert Mandan, and Jessica (I think) had put on blackface for camouflage. Benson comes in and says something to the Colonel, but calls him Mandan's character, and Mandan says, "Benson, I'm over here. " Benson looks at him and says, "Sorry. Ya'll look alike to me. " Mandan haughtily walks over to Benson and starts to say, "Very funny, Benson, " but cracks up halfway through his sentence! That was the only scene they had to reshoot! We (the audience) were out of there in 45 minutes. I understand today an audience can be watching a sitcom filming for a couple of hours because of all the flubs and mistakes the actors make. "Soap" is a testament to the professionalism and skill of those fine actors.

--Mitchell1660

View as RSS news feed in XML