Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Remember "The Who" concert tragedy episode?

Last post 03-07-2006, 12:53 PM by Aviator707. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-07-2006, 12:53 PM 893

Remember "The Who" concert tragedy episode?

Along with "Barney Miller," "WKRP in Cincinnati" is without a doubt my favorite comedy show, of ANY decade. I love MASH, but WKRP has a quality that even MASH missed. I think it had something to do with the characters. Unlike MASH, and even my very favorite show "Star Trek," I love ALL the characters on WKRP, even Herb and Les. I think my very favorite has to be the tornado episode. I love what Johnny says, "God must hate trailer parks, cuz he always sends tornadoes there first." Or when the Big Guy is leading a group of Japanese tourists around the station, and they begin pointing out at the sky, Carlson says, "They probably spotted a Fotomat." Then of course there's the turkey/Thanksgiving episode, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." Another wonderful quote from that one is when Les is on the scene, and he yells, "Oh, the humanity!" The episode where they deal with the Who concert in Cincinnati, in which 11 people were trampled to death when they opened to doors to the general seating, was also excellent. It starts out very funny (and rather ironic, knowing what's going to come up) and ends on a very serious note. I talked to someone from Cincinnati who was there at the time, and he said the city was going in to that episode with some trepidation, but he and the majority of citizens thought the cast & crew of WKRP did an excellent job of the event. Many other little snippets come through about WKRP; the phone police (You didn't see me, you didn't see me), Jennifer asking Andy, fantasizing about being the Godfather, if he could please make Herb leave the planet; Johnny, after being shafted when buying a condo, tells Venus, I feel like I've been consummated. So many great memories of that show! I only managed to record one episode, which thank goodness was the pilot. I remember it well: the newly incarnated Dr Johnny Fever (formerly Caravella) stopping the song of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "You're Having My Baby" and going on-air in the new format. "...so sit right back, open up your ears real wide, and say, 'Give it to me straight, doctor, I can take it!' Oh yeah, one more thing fellow babies... BOOGER!!"

--Kos_98337

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
View as RSS news feed in XML