Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Memories of WKRP in Cincinnati

Last post 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM by Aviator707. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-07-2006, 12:48 PM 885

Memories of WKRP in Cincinnati

The trend toward workplace comedies had missed one area - radio stations - and somebody thought to circulate this show concept amongst some writers who evidently had a bit of a broadcasting background. I, as well, answer for such past activities and see a great deal of accuracy in WKRP, particularly in the first season. Although at the sales and ownership levels there was much more comic relief than reality, the portrayal really rocked at the operations level. The secretary, the ad continuity girl and the different-approach DJs were dead-on accurate, as were lesser parts like the engineer. Whereas the newsman was a little wilder than normal, "normal" can still be a little odd in this context. An exchange from episode #1 is eternal; here's the conversation as best I recall it: Program Director: Wait - aren't you Johnny Fever from L.A.?! Fever: Uh, no. Yes. MAYBE. Go away. PD: C'mon! You were great - but they fired you for something, right? Fever: I don't know what you're... PD: Yeah! Just a slip of the tongue - but with your numbers, I simply can't BELIEVE they'd fire you for that... Fever: They ALL fire you sooner or later!

--Pete Jamison

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-07-2006, 12:51 PM 889 in reply to 885

Re: Memories of WKRP in Cincinnati

Les Nessman's yellow taped floor as a private office was a hilarious gimick. A young tech once replicated the same floor outline. He replied with a wink, "its my check on how smart you are. Plus I get to explain to those who don't get it".
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-07-2006, 12:52 PM 892 in reply to 889

One of my favorite episodes was the one when the late Hoyt Axton comes to 'claim' Jennifer - it seems when they were children she promised to marry him. He fit right in with the rest of the cast.

Unfortunately this program stayed on too long - it reached the point where there was nothing new, and the old was worn out.
  •  03-07-2006, 12:54 PM 896 in reply to 885

I consider WKRP In Cincinnati to be one of the last great television shows that I grew up watching during the Super70s since I just turned 40 years old a few weeks back while I know most of the classic episodes I think the pilot is a classic with the Kiss poster which symbolizes the decade of the Super70s in all their glory during my younger days along with Howard Hessman as Johnny Fever taking the elevator music album off changing it to rock & roll with attitude near the end.

--Wayne L.

•  03-07-2006, 12:54 PM 897 in reply to 896

I was a little girl watching reruns on CBC when I first saw the show and I love/loved it! Everyone worked so well together, it was tasteful, and not preachy. I loved episodes like The WKRP carp, where Herb is crawling under the pay toilet, the tornadoe one, the turkey drop, but I especially loved the dirty pictures of Jennifer. From Andy covering his body with the beachball to all the boys breaking in to the office "good thing I keep a spare pair of pants in my office". . . . classic.
  •  03-07-2006, 12:55 PM 898 in reply to 897

WKRP was one of the funniest shows ever. Not only was it vastly underrated, but also way ahead of its time. The topics they displayed weren't touched upon at that time, especially on TV. The Thanksgiving show was memorable and down right funny. You could relate to all the characters at one point or another. My greatest dissapoint was we never seen a final episode. Sure the one they showed about Mama wanting to change formats after finally breaking into the top ten.

A question stil is in my mind when Johnny goes to her house and tries to get her to admit why she is really doing that to the station, He leaves and Andy is there to make sure she doesnt forget their "deal". We will never know. That was a big let down to all of us who loved the show

Thanks for all the great laughs,

--Rip Tide

•  03-07-2006, 12:56 PM 901 in reply to 885

Undoubtedly the BEST episode of WKRP is the bomb episode. I have both parts on tape and I laugh hysterically every time I watch it! some great lines are:
    Venus: "Why a Chinese bookie, John?"
    Johnny: "Makes good eggroll, takes slow pay."
    and of course Johnny's: "When everyone's out to get you it's easy to be paranoid." speach is priceless
View as RSS news feed in XML