Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Favorite WKRP episodes

Last post 03-07-2006, 12:57 PM by Slammin' Slamo. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-07-2006, 12:45 PM 881

Favorite WKRP episodes

WKRP was easily one of the best comedies on the air during the late Super70s/early Awesome80s, and deserves to be placed in the same category of classic shows like M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, etc. My favorite episode was the one where the ultra-cool black DJ, Venus Flytrap, was discovered to be AWOL from the US Army. Seems he just up and left one day before finishing his tour of duty in Viet Nam, and had been hiding out for years. It was an emotional episode, and covered the touchy topic of Viet Nam without being preachy. It showed not only the human, vunerable side of Mr. cool-guy Venus, but of the other characters as well, who gave Venus the moral support to face the military officials and clear-up the whole mess. May this show live in syndication for decades to come!
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-07-2006, 12:47 PM 882 in reply to 881

Re: Favorite WKRP episodes

My favorite episode was the one where Venus Flytrap teaches the bad kid (son of a station cleaning lady) the Physics lesson -- priceless!

--Chasfh

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-07-2006, 12:47 PM 883 in reply to 882

My favorite is the tornado episode. Less Nessman subtitutes pre-written directions for communist attack for directions on what to do in case of a tornado!

--Andy

•  03-07-2006, 12:47 PM 884 in reply to 883

WKRP was one of the best comedies of the Super70s. While all the episodes mentioned were great, the all time best was the Thanksgiving Episode where Mr. Carlson dropped live turkeys out of a helicopter. I still have to laugh at the line.. 'As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.'
  •  03-07-2006, 12:48 PM 886 in reply to 884

My favorite is the bomb threat at the tower and the funniest lines in TV history is when Johnny is going on about the Phone cops. And I thought Gary Sandy (Andy Travis) was the best looking man...with that gorgeous Super70s hair!!

--Amy

•  03-07-2006, 12:48 PM 887 in reply to 886

I still laugh when I remember the Thanksgiving episode where turkeys are dropped from a helicopter as a station promotion. It contains one of the funniest lines of the show, when Carlson says, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"
  •  03-07-2006, 12:50 PM 888 in reply to 881

Favorite episode has to be the one about payola where in the end, Mr. Carlson (r.i.p.) puts cocaine on his feet thinking it is foot powder!
  •  03-07-2006, 12:51 PM 890 in reply to 888

The episode that stands out most for me was on the serious side. The young program director, Andy Travis, had settled in. He encounters his old flame, now a famous rock star. They talk old about times. She even asks if he still has his pet beagle. The episode continues on with their re-envolvement and hint of reuniting. The conversation continues with each seemingly ready to change for the other. In a final serious vein, Andy reminds her he is no longer the traveling type [a hint from the theme music - "got tired of packing and unpacking"]. She in turn can't give up the glamorous travel lifestyle. The ending with the usual, "maybe I'll see you around sometime", was a classic replay of Casa Blanca.
  •  03-07-2006, 12:51 PM 891 in reply to 890

WKRP was a great show. The Thanksgiving episode was one that always stuck in my mind. Also the one about the bomb. But the one I remember most - wasn't funny. It was about the deaths at a WHO - concert, that took place in Cincinnati. It was - very moving and sad because you knew this was not made up, these people actually did die. And I think the writers as well as the actors did a fine job showing how the people of the town must have felt. I think whenever there is a show with more than 1 or 2 main stars, they have to click to make it work, and I think this series showed how a good ensemble can work.

--Debbie

•  03-07-2006, 12:53 PM 894 in reply to 891

I enjoyed all the episodes of WKRP, but I'll have to agree that the Turkey epsiode was probably one of the funniest.

I always like Les Nesman. He just cracked me up. He was so funny in an unconventional way. I always loved his bandaided fingers and his eternal quest for an office with doors. I could identify with his masking tape walls.

--Aunt B from Texas

•  03-07-2006, 12:53 PM 895 in reply to 894

One of my favorites was when Mrs. Carlson hired someone to watch over all the staff and report back to her. They got wind of the plan and purposely all acted very different than their real personalities. Jennifer as the 'dumb blonde' was priceless. Venus holding a knife on Johnny. And Bailey spaced out: "N E S T L E S...Nestles makes the very best...chocolate". Each one of them was brilliant.

And then the guy she hired looked like such a fool, reporting all this back to Mama Carlson!
  •  03-07-2006, 12:55 PM 899 in reply to 895

I love this show so much, it's hard to pick out one favorite episode. One that comes to mind first is the episode (in the last season) where Les uses a computer dating service and gets matched with a hooker and upon meeting at the station for their date, the hooker thinks Jennifer is also a hooker after Jennifer tells her that she works for Mr. Carlson. It's one of the best episodes. The Christmas episodes were also very good, and "Turkey's Away" is an all-time favorite. I have all the episodes on videotape.
  •  03-07-2006, 12:56 PM 902 in reply to 899

What a great show it was. Some of my favorite episodes are:

1. Where they promote the "Scum of the Earth" rock concert and have to fight the band to get them to go onstage.

2. The Herb Tarlick family on the Real FAmilies show.

3. Les getting ready for his date with Jennifer to the Foreigner tune "Hot Blooded" after "The Big Guy" put out his memo on no employee fraternization.

4. Venus teaching the high schooler about the atom in 2 minutes.

5. The softball game against WPIG.

6. The Thanksgiving episode. "I see something coming out of the helicopter, perhaps it's a parachuter. His chute is not opening. Oh my god they are turkeys! They are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement.

7. The reverend Bob Hopper and his censorship of station music.

8. The Ferryman the Mortician man jingle episode. Ferryman, Ferryman he's the man with the plots he's the man with the plans. Ferryman he's the mortician man who loves you alot".

9. The episode where Venus and Johnny get drunk on the air and get there reflexes tested by the state trooper. Only, Johnny's reflexes get faster the more he drinks.

10. The Hoyt Axtin episode: "You got the knife I got the gun come on boy we're gonna have a little fun. "
    11. The episode with Sparky Anderson when he talking to Derek Doolittle of the Cinncinnati Skids. Sparky: What do you miss about home? Derek: I mostly miss me mum. She made these fried sheep brains on toast. They were beautiful. Derek also describes indoor soccer as "like soccer/hockey" and when Sparky asks what the rules are his reply is " I don't really know!

--CoachDiff

--CoachDiff

•  03-07-2006, 12:57 PM 903 in reply to 902

My favorite episode was when "the Big Guy" Mr. Carlson runs for city council, then due to the fact that he used what was considered unethical mention of an oppoonents drinking problem, he asks the staff at the staion tried everthing they could to make him lose. I especially loved the grimmacing poster they made of him! That show was easily one of the best of the decade.

--JTG from Lockport, IL

View as RSS news feed in XML