Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Ground Breaking show!

Last post 03-03-2006, 1:07 PM by Cynthasyzer. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2006, 1:00 PM 103

Ground Breaking show!

This was truly a ground-breaking show at the time and made us laugh and cry and think about the social issues of the Super70s where there was Archie's right-wing-nut Republican opinion and Meathead's liberal whining protester opinion. Norman Lear's best show ever…

--TC

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:01 PM 104 in reply to 103

Re: Ground Breaking show!

The sitcom, which originally was supossed to be a total failure, went from 16 in the rating to 1 in the rating for over 5 years. The show was being attacked, by really stupid sitcoms on rival networks. The show stars: Carroll O' Conner, Jean Stapleton, Sally Struthers, Rob Reiner, Danelle Brisbous, as The Bunkers, and as The Jeffersons: Sherman Hemsley, Mike Evens, Isabel Sanford, and Zara Cully. The two familes fought and fought until The Jeffersons moved out and then shorty after, The Bunkers were left with a little girl, who happens to be his niece.

--callmetoothie

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 1:07 PM 107 in reply to 103

"All in the Family" is my favorite show of all time because, as a young adolescent in the early Super70s, the show helped me make sense of the changing world around me. How? Well, my grandfather, my great-uncle, and other relatives of mine were openly prejudiced against blacks, Jews, etc. I didn't know how to handle it. Should I be ashamed? Should I, who was so young, confront them? Can I have my own values, or must I be as bigoted as some of my relatives? "All in the Family" showed me how stupid it was to be bigoted, that we shouldn't stereotype each other, and that I should be proud of my feeling that "no one is better than anyone else. "

Norman Lear may claim that he was not trying to change the world, but his show was a big factor in changing mine. Though I know some people say that Archie's views were glorified by the show, and though I know some people actually liked the show because they agreed with Archie, I think that the vast majority of us saw that Archie almost always got his comeuppance at the end of each episode. When we laughed at Archie most of us gently moved away from being like Archie. And America was never quite the same.

--huey

•  03-03-2006, 1:07 PM 108 in reply to 104

I'll never forget the Monday when I was in fifth grade after AITF had aired the first time. The show was the talk of the school; there had never been anything like it on television.

My favorite episode involved two burglars (pre-Sanford and Son, Demond Wilson and Blazing Saddles' Clevon Little) who broke into the Bunker's home while they attended a movie they thought would be religious; Carnal Knowledge, which Edith mistakenly called Cardinal Knowledge.

Upon the return to their house, the Bunkers surprise the burglars who were not thwarted in the least by the tape recording of a vicious German Shepherd. The burglars are about to take the money Edith had been saving in a jar to enter a jingle contest, but she is so adamant they agree to let her keep the money if she sings the jingle. Absolutely hilarious, but with the cutting social commentary the show was known for.

--eleven

View as RSS news feed in XML