Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Memories of the Rockford Files

Last post 02-16-2009, 6:43 AM by tvaddict. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-09-2006, 2:50 PM 1279

Memories of the Rockford Files

As far as I'm concerned, this is not only the greatest detective show of all time, but it's the greatest show of all time, period. Between the acting, characters, and the stories, this show is tops!

--Brian Rockford

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-09-2006, 2:50 PM 1280 in reply to 1279

Re: Memories of the Rockford Files

Hands down my favorite show of all time. James Garner is one of the best TV actors ever. This show told great stories and had a great supporting cast, Angel was just great.

--Shanakin

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-09-2006, 2:50 PM 1281 in reply to 1280

In the 1960's and Super70s it was hard to find TV drama or adventure outside of the well-worn paths followed by fictional policemen, doctors or cowboys. But the "Rockford" show had a new angle in that Jim Rockford was a private investigator that would be quite pleased NOT to get the dangerous jobs - to be left to simply make trips to the courthouse and flip through the Cole's directory for reverse telephone number lookups. The reluctant Rockford nevertheless found himself running from smalltime hoods, low-order mobsters, miffed girlfriends (not nessecarily his own) and other unexpected purveyors of a fat lip. It was entertaining to see Garner's comic acting abilities used to give us a look into the situation of a sleuth who, while good, was possibly in the wrong business.

--Pete Jamison

•  03-09-2006, 2:50 PM 1282 in reply to 1281

Greatest TV show ever! Easily the best of the Super70s. Admit it, you're humming the theme song right now. Everything in this Show: The car chases, Angel, the gun in the cookie jar, Rockford's trailer, and the slew of guest stars was pure gold, Need I go on? Never in the 20+ years since the show ended has there been an action show of this caliber save Magnum P.I.

--Frank Allds

•  03-09-2006, 2:51 PM 1283 in reply to 1282

James Garner IS Jim Rockford - a street smart PI who solves almost any case for payment of his $200 (?) a day fee. He lived in a mobile home at the beach (filmed in Paradise Cove, CA). His dad "Rocky" hangs out at the beach & fishes a lot - sometimes with Jim when he can get him away from the PI business, which Rocky would like to get him out of. Assisting Jim with his cases, which range from proving mob guys guilty to catching crooked land developers or geriatric white supremisists, is LAPD Sgt. Becker (Joe Desantos) & the other side of the coin "Angel Martin" (Stuart Margolin) - excellent as the ultimate sleeze ball (his greatest turn was when he was getting free meals at restaurants by putting vermin in food & one time as he was complaining a silverfish crawled out of his pocket & almost got him chopped up by the Chinese chef!).

There were always repeat supporting actors, who I used to call The Rockford Players, including Jack Garner (Jim's bro!) who usualy played a cop of other person who busted or gave Jimmy so gruff. The show has a classic start & music & great car chases in the Rockford Firebird & launched many co/guest-stars onto fame such as Tom Selleck, Hector Elizondo, Katheryn Harrold, James Whitmore, Jr., Isaac Hayes (Rockford was in prison "wrongfully" & Hayes was a ceel mate who came to him for PI help & the "Rockfish" provide Hayes right & saved the day & his parole!!) many others, etc.

Great show that was revived in the '90's on CBS for movies, Jimmy Rockford still rocked but Garner's age was showing a bit, as were his bad knees- still Mr. Garner was great all the time and seems like a sincere good guy you'd want to have a beer with.

--jonnyquest

•  03-10-2006, 7:42 PM 1287 in reply to 1283

This show deserves so much credit but doesn't seem to get any. In a time when we have nothing but reality shows, Jim Rockford is so important. The show carried important messages in almost every episode.
    I grew up watching Rockford and it brings back such good memories watching the reruns now. I only wish they wouldnt cut out 5 mins or so to fill with commercials nowadays.
    James Garner is one of the best actors out there, who like his Rockford character never seems to get full credit. He was so likable and so normal in this show that it made ever scene seem real. His chemistry with his Dad, Angel, Becker and Beth seemed true and you felt a real friendship was there.
    Its sad that everyone seems to forget how great tv can be. Where are you Jim Rockford?

--TVfan

•  03-10-2006, 7:42 PM 1288 in reply to 1287

I always enjoyed the Rockdord Files. The thing that got to me was the absolute superb acting! Noah Beery Jr. and Jim Garner really came off as father and son. It was very believable. Angel was cunning and devious and caring at the same time. I surely do miss the show. I still watch the reruns.
  •  03-10-2006, 7:42 PM 1289 in reply to 1288

Garner had a great, easygoing charm and was able to play off the other characters so well. Although people remember Rockford's father and Angel so well, it's a shame that so many overlook the great character of the harried police chief who was a great foil for Rockford.

The theme music didn't go out of print for years. It was so popular that you could order a 45 of it from your local record store for many years after. It was voted one of the most memorable TV themes of all time. Due to its retail success, however, only altered versions have shown up on TV theme collections over the years.

Long before The Simpsons came up with the "pre-title credit" gag of Bart and the blackboard, The Rockford Files had people tuning in early to make sure that they didn't miss one of the hilarious answering machine messages that would start off the show before the music and credits began. Years later, the short lived animated series The Critic would pay tribute to this running gag.

The car was another classic Super70s cop show touch and is still fondly remembered. (Although I think they destroyed it in one of the somewhat disappointing 90s follow-up films. )

Stuart Margolin would go on to play another Angel-type con artist in the short lived 2002 Canadian series Tom Stone.

--Seven

•  03-10-2006, 7:43 PM 1290 in reply to 1289

If you love Jimbo in Rockford Files, don't forget his roots in the Maverick series. Plays the same kind of guy, living a bit on the edge but still down to earth. He's my dad, my boyfriend, my brother, all wrapped into one great guy.

--MGH

•  03-10-2006, 7:43 PM 1291 in reply to 1290

Rockford Files never has gotten the respect it deserves. If my father had never been a fan I don't think I ever would have watched it. Just truly love the show. Characters, dialogue and all. "Awe come on Dennis that plant is so obvious you could water it. "

--relix212

•  02-16-2009, 6:43 AM 2889 in reply to 1279

Hands down my favorite show.  Rockford's wit and insights were great. I loved his mini speeches, his advice to his clients when things went wrong but his ability to pull of cons was always the best.  Whether bluffing at ransom exchange (with no money) or scheming to setup the crooks so they're caught in the act, I simply loved it.
View as RSS news feed in XML