Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Memories of the Six Million Dollar Man

Last post 05-26-2009, 3:06 PM by sixmill. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-13-2006, 8:30 PM 1724

Memories of the Six Million Dollar Man

This show was the first thing I became a fan of, before Star Wars or Superman, Steve Austin was it. Just like every other boy growing up in the seventies, I wanted to be bionic. To say I am a huge fan is an under statement!!! The Six Million Dollar Man was, and is, a great adventure show and has lost none of it's appeal. Lee Majors is one of my heroes and this is one TV show that will always remain special to me. If a big screen version is ever made, whoever plays Steve Austin, will never be as good as Lee.

--Bionicman_71

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-13-2006, 8:30 PM 1725 in reply to 1724

Re: Memories of the Six Million Dollar Man

I grew up in the Super70s and it was one of my favorite shows. The toys were great. I had a Steve Austin doll, which came fully equiped with a bionic arm, and eye you could view through the back of his head. [Editor's note: Whoa! So did I. I totally forgot about those until now. Time to use the links on the right to head over to eBay...]
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-13-2006, 8:30 PM 1728 in reply to 1725

My friends and I would have unbelievable arguments about who got to be Steve Austin, who got to be Oscar Goldman and who got to be the bad guy. If we were lucky, we would ask the neighborhood geek to come over so we would have someone to whack the garage door springs with a broom handle to mimick the sounds you heard on the show when Steve Austin was using his bionic strength.

--C1B4UDIE

•  03-13-2006, 8:32 PM 1733 in reply to 1724

I was a big fan of the Six Million Dollar Man. I had the chance to view them again last year (2002) on the french chanal (canal D). It was fun to be able to see that again. They never presented the episode when The bionic woman regain her old memory and they (Steve and Jamie) want to get married. In that epidode there was a bionic boy. It was in the last episodes they did.

--bionic me

•  03-13-2006, 8:33 PM 1735 in reply to 1724

Greatest Show Ever.
    If you're a kid in the Super70s, that is!

Through Steve Austin's many adventures with Bigfoot, underground Soviet bases with insane computers, flying to Skylab to use his bionic arm to fix the solar array (or was that the telescope mount?) only to find the solar flares adversely affect his bionics. It disappoints me that he let Jamie Sommers get away - she's still a hottie today, doing mattress commercials!
  •  03-13-2006, 8:33 PM 1737 in reply to 1735

This was my all-time favorite tv series as a kid growing up in the wild Super70s! I always thought Steve Austin was so cool in those Super70s leisure suits! It cracks me up how different my tv superhero was to my son's. My Mom even made me a small leisure suit for me to match Steve Austin! I also had a store bought Six Million Dollar Man halloween outfit complete with mask, jogging suit and an arm band that resembled bionics. Its alot of fun and still entertaining at 37, to watch the reruns with my kid's! I get a kick out of Oscar Goldman's Super70s executive office wet bar! Try that nowadays.

--R.A. Wentz

•  03-13-2006, 8:35 PM 1741 in reply to 1737

It's nice to read others' memories of the Six Million Dollar Man. I too was a kid growing up in the Super70s and have many great memories of that show. I remember at recess, the day after SMDM, all the boys my age would be acting out parts from the previous night's episode. We would all take turns being Steve, Oscar, or whatever "bad guys" appeared on the show. I, like millions of boys, had the doll and it was the most favorite toy I ever had. Thanks for the memories.

--Rick

•  03-13-2006, 8:35 PM 1742 in reply to 1741

Steve Austin, Man barely alive. . . . was hardly the case when I pretended to be him in third grade. I even had a counterpart, my first crush, Heather Sutherland, to play Jamie Sommers, we would leap from the playground railing with the typical mouthed sound effects. Although it just occured to me how hard it was to jump in slow motion. . . oh well, it was third grade. The show is still an all time legacy for me, and so is Heather.
  •  03-13-2006, 8:35 PM 1743 in reply to 1742

The Six Million Dollar Man was my favorite tv show as a kid. I even had the action figure with the removable bionic "sockets". My favorite episodes were the venus probe ones. The concept of an unstoppable thing chasing one is a primal fear, and of course the Jamie Sommers stories, eventually branching into another one of my favorite shows, The Bionic Woman, and my first tv star crush. :)

--NCIceman

•  03-22-2006, 6:49 AM 2001 in reply to 1724

I agree. In fact, was one of the best TV series ever. God willing, some day we can see it again on the screen!!!!
  •  06-26-2008, 4:39 PM 2833 in reply to 1724

I've always been a fan of "The Six Million Dollar Man" and now my kids all love the program.  I've run into a problem...it seems that there was a episode that showed Steve carving a canoe from a log, and some guy reaching for the knife that Steve used to carve it with and it was still hot from the bionic speed he used.  And the guys reply..."Hey how did you do that...and Steve said something like...' I took woodcarving in school" Ha, ha.  It was Great.  Does anyone here know which episode this was...or am I dreaming.

Preacher

•  05-26-2009, 3:03 PM 2903 in reply to 2833

opreation fire fly episode. female burnt her hand. played by pamela franklin. this the one steve fights an gator.
  •  05-26-2009, 3:06 PM 2904 in reply to 2903

I COLLECT ALL THE TOYS SOME I STILLHAD FROM CHILD HOOD, A ROOM IN MY HOUSE IS NOTHING BUT THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. I LOVED THAT SHOW I WAS 8 WHEN IT CAME ON IN JAN 1974.. POPULATION ZERO..MY PARENTS DIVORCE DIDNT MATTER ANY MORE,....THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN WAS ALL I STUDIED..GOD SPEED COL STEVE AUSTIN.
View as RSS news feed in XML