Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

More about Boyington

Last post 03-03-2006, 3:23 PM by Cynthasyzer. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2006, 3:19 PM 217

More about Boyington

As the series would have us believe, Gregory Boyington was nicknamed Pappy by the men of Squadron 214 because he was 35 years old and most of them were barely in their 20s. This is quite an irony, because while that was his actual given nickname, the Second World War ended before his 35th birthday on December 4, 1947.

Robert Conrad portrayed Pappy as a non-conformist who took a bunch of ragtag officers facing court-martials and provided them all with reprieves. Pappy maintained no discipline, ignored military regulations, and did not care what his men did off the job. As long as they could fly and do the job when necessary, nothing else mattered. Given this code, Pappy was completely at home with his men whether they were chasing women, getting into fights, conning civilians or the chain of command, or intercepting the Japanese.

In the second season, the men of the Black Sheep Squadron spent a lot of time engaging in high jinks with the nursing force on the South Pacific island where both factions were based.

If we look at this address, we learn, at least in part, where the title of the series came from and just how much of Boyington’s actual stories to take as fact.

Boyington himself died in 1988.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 3:21 PM 219 in reply to 217

Re: More about Boyington

If you love WW2 Airplanes and especially the F4U Corsair its great. The show is really great with cool plots and is really funny. If you like the movie Kellys Heros you will love the show.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-03-2006, 3:23 PM 222 in reply to 217

Re: More about Boyington

WOW!! When I was a kid I could not wait for Thursday night. As soon as I would hear the opening credits " We are poor little lambs, who have lost our way. Bah Bah Bah. . . " then the air raid siren, I was glued to the TV for the next hour. My grandfather, who was an aviator, knew Greg ' Pappy ' Boyington through a friend of his COL Robert Scott who was with the AVG Flying Tigers, with whome Boyington flew for. My grandfather said that the TV series Boyington was a pretty accurate representation of the real life Boyington. As a kid I could have cared less. I loved (and still do) the sleek lines of the Corsair and the growl of the radial engine. My favorite episode was the ping pong match episode. I died when Pappy had to shoot down one of his own Corsairs to stop his Japanees 'friend' from escaping.

I have several Corsair models that I keep in my den today and lithograph of the original cast hung on the wall right above a 16 x 20 potrait of the 'real' pilots of VMF 214.

--Corsair_Boy2006

View as RSS news feed in XML