Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Social Values

Last post 09-07-2009, 11:25 AM by Tim. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-07-2009, 11:25 AM 2922

Social Values

It would be nice for shows like Gunsmoke to make a comeback.  As a small impressionable boy, Matt Dillon was a role model.  Week after week he fought off the bad guys and made life safer for the good folks living in Dodge City.  The values that he and other western heroes of the day instilled in the minds of kids like me were timeless and much needed today.  The line between good and evil is blurred.  It seems that now, it is more important to identify with the bad guy or glorify the bad guy. The networks have gotten so PC in their message that anyone who sees something as wrong or disagrees with a particular social agenda is branded as intolerant or just plain wrong and worthy of ridicule. It seems that those who preach about others' intolerance, are themselves the least tolerant among us.  But looking back, I did not need anyone to tell me right from wrong, sin from virtue. I think that all of us deep down know the difference.  Younger folks just don't seem to want to take a stand anymore.  It's easier to let the pop culture dictate how theyshould think or feel about something. To me that is sad, because the future of this country isn't as hopeful or as certain as it once was. And Matt Dillon would probably be looked on more as an idiot than a hero.  Think not, look at the "heroes" of today. 
View as RSS news feed in XML