Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Role models

Last post 03-04-2006, 7:38 AM by Contrarian. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-04-2006, 7:37 AM 352

Role models

I was in High School when Charlie's Angels came out and I was so motivated and intrigued by Farrah and Jaclyn. My sister and I wore our hair very similar to the two of them and dressed something like them as well. My sister happened to have won several beauty contests because of her looks. She favored Jaclyn during that time. I on the other hand won talent contests. I was so glad to see women such as the Angels portray law enforcing troubleshooters and have a feminine appeal all the while. This show was so entertaining for me to see these girls come up with a way out of whatever sticky situation that was created in a drama dealing with crime. I felt that they gave women ideas to see thier way out of trouble should it ever arise even if it was fictional. That's just my opinion.

--Ruthie Red

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-04-2006, 7:38 AM 353 in reply to 352

Re: Role models

Many great television programmes were made in the 'Super70s, but 'Charlie's Angels' was certainly not one of them. Even as a testosterone-crazed teenager, I found it incredibly stupid. The cast couldn't act to save their lives, the plots were weaker than dishwater, the violence cartoonish and the syrupy theme tune used to set my teeth on edge. True, Farrah Fawcett matured into a fine actress later on but you'd never know it to look at her in this show. Her teeth did most of the acting. I think she secretly knew the show was bad which was why she jumped ship after one season. Her replacement Cheryl Ladd was no better. I remember cringing with embarrassment when in her debut episode she had to enter a nudist colony and, in a scene of mind-boggling implausability, started undressing in the middle of the street, much to the delight of an elderly security guard. Astonishingly, the show is now revered in some quarters as a proto-feminist tract. I say astonishingly because it did about as much for Women's Lib as The Benny Hill Show. Each week the Angels were called upon to go undercover by posing as cocktail waitresses, air stewardesses or whatever. Jobs that required them to put on make-up and sexy clothes. A middle-aged man's wet dream, in other words. In Britain it was accorded a decent timeslot by ITV, whereas the much superior 'The New Avengers' was thrown to the wind. Joanna Lumley's 'Purdey' could've taken on all three Angels with her hands tied and would've walked away with her famous bob still intact. Yet the Angels outlasted 'The New Avengers' by years. Isn't life strange?

--Steve Michael

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
View as RSS news feed in XML