Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

One more thing... I Loved Columbo!

Last post 03-04-2006, 12:26 PM by Cynthasyzer. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-04-2006, 12:23 PM 379

One more thing... I Loved Columbo!

Columbo was the most unique detective series ever. To show the audience who did the crime and why at the beginning and not introduce the star of the show until 20 mins. to 30 mins. into the show made it a real standout in the 15,20 other cop shows available. My favorite Columbo bad guys were Jack Cassidy (Killing Martin Milner over their series of Detective novels ) and Johnny Cash (Killing Wife Ida Lupino because She was blackmailing Him to sing Gospel music so She wouldn't expose Him as a statutory rapist). I'd really love to see this series in DVD sets. I would buy them all !!!!

--Michael C.

•  03-04-2006, 12:26 PM 381 in reply to 379

Re: One more thing... I Loved Columbo!

Peter Falk was "Emmy material" as Lt. Columbo in arguably the best detective on television during the Super70's. Falk, who could make you forget he was partially blind and NOT Italian, was a master of being brilliant cop and subtle comedian.

Almost all of the early series shows surpass the test of time and eclipse the unfortunate reprisals of the late Awesome80s to the present day. Falk's style of playing dumb worked best in the simpler days of the Super70s when reversing film negatives and playing back video tape was truly novel stuff. The directors of the early Columbo years were also superb and great effort was made for outstanding continuity. Of note is when Columbo shows his caught murderer gloves he is secretly wearing or the episode when he discovers Leonard Nemoy has planted the missing sutcher on him.

An outstanding contributor to the series came from Patrick McGoohan who had made quite a name in such spy classics as "The Prisoner", "Danger Man" and "Secret Agent Man. " McGoohan starred both in front of the camera and behind the scenes in multi-episodes, including recently. His excellent persona, along with other notables like John Casavettes, Dick Van *** and Johnny Cash (just to name a few) brought "Columbo" to an advanced stage of television which few other programs could match. Falk was happy showing up 20 minutes into the story and would allow his co-stars to shine. That's something you don't see everyday.

--Joe Quattrocchi

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
View as RSS news feed in XML