Welcome to Super70s.com Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
70s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
80s: Culture | Movies | Music | News | Sports | Science/Tech | Timeline | TV
Home Blogs Forums

Favorite Sanford & Son episodes

Last post 10-26-2015, 9:34 PM by oakleysunglasses. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-05-2006, 9:06 PM 759

Favorite Sanford & Son episodes

Sanford and Son is by far my all time favorite Sit-Com! Asking me to select a favorite episode is much like asking me to choose a favorite child. There were so many enthralling episodes that could compete for the #1 spot. If I had to rank them, I would grudgingly put the episode that introduced Julio Fuentes at the top spot. It was hilarious and an episode that gave Redd Foxx the opportunity to shine. Where on earth he came up with all those stereotypes is beyond me? The show was funny, captivating, intriguing, and for me, addictive. It was the ideal Super70s sit-com that paralleled "All in the Family" in significance, domestic comedy routines and in dealing with issues of the day. My goal someday is to have each and every episode at my disposal & memorize parts of my favorite ones.
    (NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 9:07 PM 761 in reply to 759

Re: Favorite Sanford & Son episodes

My favorite Sanford And Son episode was when Fred Sanford thought he had a date with Lena Horne and it turned out to be with Esther at the end of the show he said, "This is not my Lena... this is somebody's hyena!" I collapsed with laughter when I saw that.

--MAC

(NOTE: This automated user posts old messages from before we had these forums (March 2006). (More information.)
  •  03-05-2006, 9:08 PM 763 in reply to 759

My favorite episode was when Fred's uncle Lee Otis dies and Fred thinks he is coming into a small fortune. In the end Lee Otis had just enough to pay for his funeral. When I was about 10 Sanford and Son was definitely my favorite show.

--Craig

•  03-05-2006, 9:09 PM 765 in reply to 759

It is hard to guess my favorite episode but i will go with the one where fred thinks he has shot Goldstein. It is so funny how Lamont panics. All the shows are very good and the least best ones are not far behind the best ones.There is one episode that is not near as good as the rest and that is where Grady buys a portrait for his family.

--rickster

•  03-05-2006, 9:09 PM 766 in reply to 765

My favorite episode is the one where Lamont tries desparately to get an ailing Fred to visit the dentist. One day Fred's complaining about a terrible toothache, and driving everyone crazy, especially Lamont. The machinations that Lamont goes through to get Fred to see a dentist, and that Fred in turn employs to get out of going, made for an episode full of huge belly-laughs for me.
  •  03-05-2006, 9:09 PM 767 in reply to 763

l'l let you guess the episode, but one of my favorite lines came when Fred and Esther stuck together in Grady's Chinese handcuff trick, were trying to share the same ear of corn when Ester said "I like butter on my end." Fred replied, "Well what do you want on your corn?" (something like that). I think this caught some of the characters by surprise because Grady almost could not stop laughing to deliver his next line. What really made it work was the way Ester delivered her line. What a set-up!

--xrider

•  03-05-2006, 9:11 PM 771 in reply to 761

My favorite episodes hands down is The Chameleon. this is the one where fred has a huge collection of 78's from the blues singer Blind Mellow Jelly. Lamont talks him into donating the whole collection to a library as a tax writeoff. One of the lines that really made me crack up as a kid was when the guy at the library has headphones on and is listening to the records and fred starts insulting him. lamont tells him to stop, but fred says, "Oh, he can't hear me with them things on...Watch...Personally, I think you're a fruit cake" and it just goes on from there. After they leave fred decides he wants to get them back so he has Bubba pretend to be the long lost Son of Blind Mellow Jelly. if I remember correctly Fred says his name is Potbelly. Bubba isn't sure what to say so fred just tells him to keep saying, "I want my daddy's records!" the librarian would ask Bubba a question and he would just answer with, "I want my daddy's records!" It was so incredibly funny that I still remember it even though I've never seen that episode in reruns. Great great show.
  •  03-05-2006, 9:12 PM 774 in reply to 759

My favorite episode of Sanford and Son is when Aunt Esther and her husband, Woodrow, had a dispute and Esther decided to stay with Fred and Lamont. The only two funniest parts of that episode is at the beginning when Lamont gives Esther a taste of liquor , then Esther starts stuttering in a drunken fashion when she tells Lamont about the problems her and Woodrow are going through, and the other funny part of that episode is while she is staying with Fred and Lamont, she decides to clean up the living room and when she tries to get Fred to move his feet so she could sweep the floor, Fred says, " Why don't you bend over so I can put my foot where to raise the nap on your head. " Then Esther responds by saying, " Why you old bean-eating, beady- head, bear-hugging donkey. " Then Fred says, It takes a jackass to know a donkey!" And finally to nobody's surprise, Lamont runs down the stairs to stop the two from bickering.
  •  03-05-2006, 9:13 PM 778 in reply to 759

Sanford and Son is classic. I can watch it over and over again, I have videotapes, DVDs. Whenever I get bored or there's nothing on TV I pull them out. I laugh EVERYTIME. I like the episode where Juanita Griswold (Janet Dubois) and her daughter Alice (Emily Yancy) were trying to con Fred into living with them by saying "ALICE IS OUR DAUGHTER" all the time Lamont is falling in love with Alice. The dinner table scene was hilarious! with Jaunita sternly saying "FRED! I said we'll talk about that someother time! Fred pointed his finger at Jaunita and said "You don't tell me what I can and can't talk about in my own house! Just like homefolk would do it. It was really funny.

Another episode is when Lamont and Rollo try to entertain some ladies visiting from Detroit with fancy wine and peanuts and Fred ends up crashing the party with Onion Stew and Ripple (The girls favorite combo)

In the end, Fred crashes into the kitchen after belling dancing with some big women he and Grady were entertaining was priceless. I was hoarse for a few hours

One Love, Sanford & Son 4ever

--Bdubya

•  03-05-2006, 9:14 PM 780 in reply to 759

My favorite episode of Sanford and Son was about Fred and his sidekick Bubba coming home to find his son alledgedly choking a white woman. After much panic Fred and Bubba learned his son was practicing a scene from "Othello". Fred turns to Bubba and says "what do you think the police will do if they see Lamant choking a white woman". Later during this episode Fred is invited to the actresses house in Beverly Hills and he wonders into her parents room and after much panic on their part he says to her parents "The next time you wake up and find a black man in your bedroom don't get so uptight". the quick one-liners during this episode are just as hilarious today in reruns as they were then.

--walt

•  03-05-2006, 9:15 PM 781 in reply to 759

My favorite one is when Fred ate some 8 days old greens and he is laying in the bed and Esther comes to comfort him and he said, "Ester your face so ugly I can stick yo face in some dough an make gorilla cookie." I am 13 teen years old an this is the only thing I watch everyday. I love every single episode. I have all the the seasons on dvd - this is the best show to come out ever!

--risha42

•  03-05-2006, 9:15 PM 782 in reply to 759

I still die laughing at my favorite episode, "Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe", where Fred invites Elizabeth over to hear the outrageous claim his childhood friend Big Money Grip says that Lamont is his son, not Fred's. Now this episode is a true testament of how "non-pc" things were back then, when Esther stood up angrily and shot back, "What did you say, N****?!".

The audience rolled, and Grip could barely get the next line in due to major audience laughter.

--JquarJ

•  03-05-2006, 9:16 PM 784 in reply to 759

My favorite episode of Sanford and son is undoubtebly the episode when Lamont purchases a couple of old coffins and Fred is afraid to sleep inthe house with them. Lamont ridicules Fred in the early part of the evenig about his fear but in the end he himself is unable to sleep in the house with them either after a series of spooky goings ons gets the best of him. My favorite line in this episode is when Lamont asks a half asleep fre if he is asleep and Fred replies "No I'm just checking my eyelids for cracks!" hilarious sitcom fun at its best!
  •  03-05-2006, 9:18 PM 786 in reply to 784

Sanford and Son, in my opinion is the greastest half hour comedy show of the Super70s. One of my many favorite shows when Lamont got his ass kicked at a bar. Then he takes up karate and go back to the same bar. Finally, he meets bully and they both go outside and Lamont jumpping up&down , yelling and screaming and scares the$&#@!got of the guy!

p. s. If you don't like the show, i'm gonna give you 5 across your lip! You big dummy!

•  03-05-2006, 9:18 PM 787 in reply to 781

Sanford & Son is THE show!!! I have every episode on dvd. I watch them regularly and then also watch the reruns on TV Land. My family teases me about being obsessed with Fred G Sanford. I have many favorite episodes. But I can narrow them down. One of my favorite episodes is when Lamont brought the coffins home. He said Fred was being superstitious, but he ended up sleeping on the truck with Fred because he was scared. I also loved the episode when they were attempting to move a piano from a penthouse and Fred kept calling the owner a "fruitcake. " I also love the episode when Fred had to teach Lamont's new poker buddies a lesson, because they were cheating. When Fred started hitting them with that fly swatter, I laughed so hard. I rewind that part over and over. I could go on and on about my favorite episodes, because there are so many. Let's just say there never will be another Fred G Sanford and the G stands for the "Greatest".

--RHONDA

Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML